I’m a massive sports fan. When arriving in a new city I look to see if there are any sports museums and/or sports halls of fame nearby.
For me sports museums are interesting, inspirational, historic, and as a bonus, often interactive.
I experienced VR for the first time at the Besiktas Football Museum. That shit is trippy!
As a tourist, there’s one problem with sporting museums and halls of fame.
Many of them don’t have a marketing budget (often run by volunteers). So you won’t find many of them on TripAdvisor and they have no footprint on Google unless you search something specific.
Every time I get to a new country, I’m making a bunch of searches in hope like:
sports museums XYZ
wiki sports museums XYZ
halls of fame XYZ
football museums XYZ etc.
Fortunately I haven’t landed on anything NSFW. Yet.
Anyway, making these searches is tedious. So I decided to do something to help me out going forward. This map was made for me but maybe you’ll find it useful too.
I spent a day Googling up a storm, getting the names of all the sports museums and halls of fame I could find. The result was over 300 pinned locations around the world.
* This is far from a complete list. There’s no doubt a lot of museums are missing from South America & Africa. And A LOT of football museums need to be added. If you have any additions please email them to me: [email protected] or drop a comment below.
From The Map I’ve Visited:
- Camp Nou Museum (blog post)
- Barcelona Motorcycle Museum
- Barcelona Olympic Museum
- Besiktas FC Museum (blog post)
- Galatasaray Museum (blog post)
- Fenerbahce Museum
- Museum Of Sport & Tourism (blog post)
- Museum Of Legia Warsaw (blog post)
- Thessaloniki Olympic Museum
- Blades Of Glory Cricket Museum (blog post)
- National Sports Museum (Melbourne)
- MCC Museum (Melbourne)